Град Берковица

Град Берковица

Изглед от Ком

Изглед от Ком

Берковски балкан

Берковски балкан

Hotel Gelov

Hotel Gelov Berkovitsa

Основна версия на сайта
100% проверени отзиви от Booking
100% проверени отзиви
Facebook



Berkovitza cultural and historical heritage

The Clock Tower

 

This is the most distinctive architectural monument in the center of Berkovitza – its symbol and logo. It was built in 1762-64, and it is 21.42 meters high. The names of the craftsmen are unknown. Its regular masonry with wooden belts and narrow loop-holes distinguish it from the surrounding public buildings and remind of antiquity and romance. The octagonal second part of the tower is made of wood, lined up with shingles. The clock mechanism and bell are assembled in it. The sun beams play on the Clock Tower gabled roof, which still clocks time with its copper sound.

 

Ivan Vazov house-museum

 

An architectural and construction monument of national importance. It was built in early 19th century. In 1940 it was declared a national antiquity representing the Bulgarian Revival architectural tradition. The beautiful carved ceilings are made by Bulgarian masters. The national poet Ivan Vazov lived and worked in this house in the period 1879-1880. The great Bulgarian poet spent here a year and a half, falling in love with the Berkovitza nature, and drawing a large number of stories for his works. His official duties associated with his daily personal contacts, the traveling to nearby villages and the frequent hikes are the reason for him to write rhymes such as “At Kom”, “Raspberry”, the poem “Gramada” and the novel “Mitrofan and Dormidolsky”.

 

Water Fountain “Malinarka”

 

The fountain was built in 1967 and it is made of pink Berkovitza marble in honor of the Malinarka girls praised by Ivan Vazov in his rhyme “Raspberry”.

 

TOWN ART GALLERY

 

The building of the old two-storey school “Father Paisius”, built in 1872, is nowadays a town gallery for Revival painting and carving. It is located in the yard of the “St. Nicholas Miracle Worker” church. The collecting had started as early as 1969, and currently it includes 1440 works of art divided into various sections: paintings, prints, drawings, cartoons, sculptures, and applied art, as well as Revival icons made in the 19th – 20th centuries. The gallery stores artworks of many famous Bulgarian painters.

 

ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEIM

 

An architectural and construction cultural monument. A typical one-storey Revival house with a southward outdoor chesterfield. Built in the 19th century, it has interesting woodcarving details on the doors and cupboards and the authentic way of premises and bathroom heating. It has been housing the ethnographic exposition since 1992. The house is preserved in its authentic form – with no change of the building’s basic constructions and walls. The major collections are textiles / costumes, shrunk paintings, rugs, carpets / wood, metal, jewelry, ceramics – a total of more than 14 000 exhibits.

 

“Birth of Holy Virgin Mary “ CHURCH

 

The church is a contemporary of the Bulgarian Revival, a home to boys’ and girls’ school, a spiritual source for the people of Berkovitza. It was rebuilt in 1843. The chancel screen was made by a woodcarver from the town of Samokov. The icons were painted by Dimitar Zograf. They could be attributed to the best ones made in Bulgaria during the Revival. The belfry was finished in 1897. It houses two bells made in 1845 in Budapest and later donated to the church by the mason guild.

 

“St. Nicholas Miracle Worker” church

 

The temple was built in 1871 by Master Georgy Jongar. It was built with stone blocks, with processed stone used in some parts. Later on, the building underwent another two construction periods, which further enriched its architectural forms. The bell tower was raised in 1898. The chancel screen is a dynamic one, bent in the center towards the apse, and the details are flat and schematic.

 

 

 

TURKISH BATH

 

An architectural and construction cultural monument. It was built in 1665, partially on the wall foundations of a Roman bath that had been raised following Rome’s conquest of the Berkovitza region.

 

ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL FORTRESS “KALETO”

 

A cultural monument of national importance. Archeological excavations started in 1961. Internal and external fortress walls from the late antiquity with separate premises between them were found. In the outer wall there are included two basilicas. Archeological materials from a Thracian settlement were revealed in the southeastern slope. Later, during the Roman era, life here was linked to mining and gold production, but the reinforcement of Kaleto and its reconstruction from a settlement to a fortification facility took place in the 4th – 5th centuries. Architectural details were discovered – columns, column heads. Different materials had been collected – ceramics, bricks, tools, weapons, coins.

 

Klisura Monastery “ST. ST. Cyril and Methodius “

 

The Klisura monastery is the fourth largest and most visited monastery in Bulgaria. It is located 85 km from Sofia and 9 km from Berkovitza, at the foothill of the proud Balkan northern slopes, under “Todorini Towers”, deservedly called “the spiritual jewel of Northwestern Bulgaria”. At the temple’s entrance there is an inscription according to which the monastery dates back to 1240. It had been repeatedly set on fire, destroyed and reconstructed by the Christian population. In 1874 a Turkish decree officially recognized the monastery as a Bulgarian sanctuary. In its present state the monastery had been restored following Bulgaria’s independence when a master from Samokov worked out a remarkable chancel screen. Nowadays, the Klisura monastery is an attractive place for a walk and relax.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
Berkovitza cultural and historical heritage, 10.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating

This post is also available in: Russian, Bulgarian